Sunday, December 28, 2008

Bad Day

My kids can drive me absolutely nuts.  How many times do you have to ask/tell/scream something to have it get done?  With my kids you are lucky if it is no more than half a dozen for each instruction.

Kalan, my 4 year old, is the worst.  I blame it on middle child syndrome.  I also feel that I go somewhat easy on my kids as I clearly recall an experience from my youth.  My dad called me up to his room to give me some instructions.  He was sick at the time and I was trying extra hard to catch all of the details.  There was only one problem... the TV in his room was on.  I don't even know what was on the TV.  All I know is that as I sat there trying to catch his instructions and repeated "listen to Dad, listen to Dad, listen to Dad" over and over in my mind... I could not hear a thing he was saying.

I recall that experience every time my kids try my patience... so pretty much daily.  Well, Kalan was really pushing it... he was not wanting to help clean and was whining about something one of the other kids did to him.  I sent him upstairs to clean/cry somewhere else while I contemplated what genetic deficiency I must have passed on to him that gave him the ability to sit there and stare blankly as I change colors from the stress of trying to get him to do a simple task.

He was really hitting a stride with his whining as he climbed the stairs... then, without taking the whine out of his voice, he starts singing..."You had a bad day.  Your taking one down.  You sing a sad song, just to turn it around."

How can you stay mad?

1 comment:

Karen said...

You do have a blog. Cool. BTW, I think it's a 4 year old thing. Katelyn does the same thing and she is the oldest child.